One of the major concerns of people today is trying to find out how they can safeguard themselves against identity theft. Here are some tips that can be of help
1. Use a strong password: When choosing your password, use alphanumeric (numbers and letters together), upper and lower case, signs such as #, %, %! etc.
Keep your password away from your computer or public places. Also, it is advisable to change your password once in a while and avoid using common name such as "password”, “first name", "nickname" etc.
2. Secure your PIN: Avoid using your debit/credit card on websites that doesn’t have (https://) or padlock sign in the browser. Using your card on such websites open you up to fraudsters. Also, use your card on websites you trust and those who have credibility.
3. Always logout: When you browse on public computer such as cybercafés, hotels, libraries etc. ensure that you logout after your browsing and clear the cache or browser history.
4. Beware of FREE downloading sites. Some of the free download software comes with viruses.
5. Don’t click on links anyhow. It is better to copy the link and paste it in your browser. Avoid opening unsolicited emails. Scammers send emails with great headline. Don’t open it if you don’t know the sender. They might use it to hack your email password.
Read 456 times
Last modified on Monday, 04 May 2015 04:00